Friday, July 26, 2013

Cool Running

My running is going really well.  I've tried to step it up a little with my relay coming up the second week of August.  The PT exercises and all the running form help I've been given has been awkward but invaluable.  I'm getting a lot more comfortable with it and see how it helps my running overall.  My favorite thing has been still going up in the mountains to trail run.  Some trails are pretty steep so it's more of a hike up and run down.  I'm working a little harder to keep my HR up.  This last week I went up a canyon onto a trail I haven't been on before. I know its a popular trail so I wasn't too worried.  I printed a little map just in case.  It was a 10 mile drive up the canyon to get to it and that took me into a cool oasis that I've only dreamed about.  I grew up here!  Why have I not been taking advantage of this awesomeness!!  
I set everything out the night before.   I have never used my camel bak before and I've had it 2 years.  I rinsed it out and filled it with water and put it in the fridge.  Trying to get really chilled water without ice.  

Trail Head.  49 degrees.

Switchback.  I was taking it easy at the start.  I couldn't get my Garmin to load the satellite, which is crazy!  It's usually on the spot!

49 degrees was a little cooler then I had anticipated.  Luckily I had thrown this purple beauty into my car because of all the afternoon rainstorms that we've had lately.  It turned out to be a most excellent running jacket and when I was done with it I balled it up and stuck it on the back of my Camel Bak.  
Lots of trail pics.  Taking them as I run.  

Beautiful mountains

More dreamy trails.

Dog Lake.  There were a few dogs there too.  Millcreek is the only canyon in Salt Lake you can take your dog to because of all the water shed issues.  Just a few hundred yards past this lake and you better not have your dog or you are going to be paying a hefty fine.  It is very beautiful and a great place to take your dog.  Very lucky to have it!

Beautiful Blue Skies too!
Tada!  Running with the Camel Bak was no big deal!

Showing it off...haha.  It has my jacket shoved into the bungees on the outside.  

Did not break any time records, but I enjoyed everything minute of the climb and run down.  I plan to do it again next week and push myself on the hills a little more.  I have a bunch of hills for my relay race and I want to be ready.  

Today I downloaded my Garmin info from the past month onto Garmin Connect and Daily Mile.  I'm not even close to the miles I was running a year ago, but it's coming along slowly. 

But I have burned enough calories to eat 471 and 3/4ths donut.  

I'm not feeling so bad about my donut phase now!



Here is a little summary from Garmin Connect.  Ave page 15:27.  Not bad! Need to keep my heart rate up a little more.  I can't wait to see how I improve as I try and do this run at least once a week!

Summary
Distance:6.38 mi
Time:1:38:34
Avg Pace:15:27 min/mi
Elevation Gain:1,437 ft
Calories:689 C
Details
Timing
Time:1:38:34
Moving Time:1:31:19
Elapsed Time:1:51:11
Avg Pace:15:27 min/mi
Avg Moving Pace:14:19 min/mi
Best Pace:6:31 min/mi
Speed
Pace
Elevation
Elevation Gain:1,437 ft
Elevation Loss:1,484 ft
Min Elevation:7,610 ft
Max Elevation:8,812 ft
Heart Rate
Avg HR:139 bpm
Max HR:156 bpm

What is your favorite place to run?

Blog on...................

3 comments:

  1. Charene@RunBikeMom.comJuly 26, 2013 at 2:32 PM

    Wow, what a beautiful place to run! Looks like you are getting back on track. Would love to do a relay with you again sometime in the future. Glad you're doing well and your feet are continuing to cooperate! Woohoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooo beautiful!! I never run trails by myself, I'm such a chicken, I'm always worried something happens and then I'm in the middle of nowhere!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to go here with you!! I only do trail running in Corner Canyon because I don't know other places to go

    ReplyDelete