Tuesday, July 29, 2014

I deserve a treat

About every 16-18 months I get a Breast MRI.  This was my 3rd.  My last one resulting in a biopsy, that was negative.  I don't know the results of this one yet.  

Breast MRI

A breast MRI captures multiple images of your breast. Breast MRI images are combined, using a computer, to generate detailed pictures.Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the breast — or breast MRI — is a test used to detect breast cancer and other abnormalities in the breast.
Breast MRI usually is performed after you have a biopsy that's positive for cancer, and your doctor needs more information about the extent of the disease. In certain situations, such as for women with high risk of breast cancer, breast MRI may be used with mammograms as a screening tool for detecting breast cancer.

So why?  I have a strong family history.  My sister died of breast cancer in 2003 at the age of 44.  I have already lived 6 years longer then she did.  It's very humbling.  My mom has had it also and is doing great.  My theory is not if but when I get it.  I don't live in fear but I am proactive to detect early.  I'm always checking myself.  If you don't, then learn.  It's easy.  Before you jump in the shower or in the shower and before you know it it becomes a no brainer.  
The only picture I have of her right now.  I am in the process of switching laptops.

Here is the contraption you lay on with your boobies hanging down through the holes.

Kind of like this.

It takes 30 minutes.   I ran that morning and premedicated with some anti anxiety medicine.  I still feel like I was hyperventilating.  And you can't move at all. You can't even take deep breaths.   That's why I deserved a treat!


And they were delicious!
Yes, I was driving the Shaggin Wagon.  My car went in on Wednesday and it wasn't done going to be done until Monday.

I can't remember how long the results take to come back.  You know what they say, no news is good news.  I can't have any positive results during this training anyway.  
What is your favorite treat?
Cancer - do you get or plan to get mammograms?
Blog on...........

2 comments:

  1. Oreo cookies and yes, I definitely plan for mammograms! Now that I'm getting reduction surgery, I won't break their machine!

    Good for you bring proactive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This machine would freak me out you totally deserve a treat... a HUGE treat!! Like new running clothes or shoes :)

    ReplyDelete