Friday, July 27, 2012

Tempo?

Today was my tempo run.  I set my alarm to get up and get it done before my shift started at 10am.  I work out of Rock Springs, which is about 2000 feet higher then Salt Lake.  I haven't run at the Rock for a while so my foot could rest after the cortisone shot.  This morning I got my ass kicked!  First I forgot my pre-run supplement (No-Xplode - sounds bad ass eh?)  but I slurped down a dark chocolate almond milk and went on my way.  
I must say it didn't turn out like I imagined in my head.  I felt tired.  Granted I planned a 1 mile uphill at about mile two, but I'm trying to overcome my hill weakness.  I was a little slow, but I managed through it with an average 10:13 min/mile.  Did I ever mention I'm a slow runner?  I did mention I walk every 5 minutes for a minute.  I can manage an under 9 min mile doing it this way but apparently not today.  I was very proud of my full 5 minutes of uphill with great form and even decent speed. 

Most of the time I feel like it takes me at least 1 mile to just warm up.

Mile 1: 10:08
Mile 2: 10:07
Mile 3: 10:05 (one mile hill!)
Mile 4: 9:55
Mile 5: 9:25

Total time 53:07, calories 584 (woot WOOT) 5.2 miles
My max speed was 7:26!  The weather was a little hot but not too bad, sunny and beautiful.  That is one of the great things I love about coming up here in the summer.  It's usually a little cooler.  

According to my training I've put together my tempo runs should be 9:22 min/miles.  Heat and higher altitude??  I should have been able to do better.  But at least I did it!  Isn't that the way we have to think some days??

I didn't forget to ice and BioFreeze the heel!  I did forget to take a picture of it.    



Post icing with my work socks and sweats.  My uniform is laid out carefully so I can get in it within seconds and be on our way.  My favorite Crystal Light in an icy bottle of water, watching "Something About Mary".  My job doesn't suck.  Keep in mind that we can fly almost 24 hours straight also.  It's slow right now, but we can get a call any minute day or night.

My medic is asleep right over there:
<---------------

Blog on.................

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, thanks for visiting my blog and for your fun comment. I am also running Top of Utah half marathon and am looking very forward to it. I ran it last year and had a great time. Good luck with your running adventures. I myself am a middle-aged woman trying to figure out this whole running thing with grown children who live at home. Would be nice to get them married off so they can give me more grandchildren:)

    ReplyDelete