Thursday, January 24, 2013

Trust Fall

Last night after I wrote this post, I still couldn't sleep.  I was at work in Rock Springs and since I couldn't sleep I naturally gave myself a mani-pedi at 2am. Just as I was settling back into bed and starting to get sleepy we got a call.  Unfortunately for my team, I was wide awake and wired.  My body is so crazy. Well it turned out to be the longest transport/return of my career. 

This is what the plane looked like by my side in my frustrated hustle for some patient care. I may or may not have tossed a few things to the side.  

Pointing out that although my job sounds glamorous and looks bad ass, there are some moments where everything seems to be going wrong that a few (hundred) cuss words may pass my lips.  

After we delivered the patient safely to a tertiary facility (big word = big hospital) we took a cab back to the hanger and we were told that the plane was covered in ice and we would have to let it thaw in the hangar for an hour and it might be 2 hours before we took off.  I was at about the 24 hour mark of wearing the same clothes and only had a 2 hour nap in those 24 hours.  I grabbed a blanket and tried to get some sleep on our sweet pleather couch.  

A couple of hours later and the ice on the runway was still bad and before we knew it they closed the ENTIRE airport because of ice conditions.  That put my pilot in time out and we were stuck.  Pilots are only allowed so many hours on duty and then need a set number of hours of rest before they can be on duty again.  The FAA is very strict and our pilots follow those rules and the rules of Air Methods to a tee.  Safety First!

In the end, we hung out with the Salt Lake crew at the Hangar until the airport opened back up and our SLC based plane took us (including our pilot) back to Rock Springs and picked up our other Rock Springs pilot to go get the plane. They were on their way to a transport so although it isn't like dropping off a friend, they did get us back around 3ish.  TWELVE HOURS! 

Before we left I was walking out of the SLC hangar when I saw three of the big snow removal machines go by.  They are pretty darn awesome.

The main International airport is just behind our planes. Crazy foggy/yucky.

 Looks like there is snow on the ground, huh?  NO no no.  Ice.  
Never trust an airplane hangar to catch you in a trust fall.  It was more like a violent slam to the ground.  Phone, helmet bag and work laptop (in a well padded bag) all went flying.  Luckily only the 3 pilots, 2 medics and multiple mechanics saw me.  One of the mechanics checked on me and the other guys just yelled from the plane.  It was so icy and SLIPPERY that they couldn't hurry to me without falling. Either that or they were too busy laughing.   

I brushed off and made it to the plane.  
I can't decide if I'm feeling crappy because of my "hard landing" or the fact I've been up around 40 hours.  I feel really lucky that I didn't hurt myself.  I am sure I would have had I not spent the last year working on a strong core.  TRX/Pilates ROCK!  I do know that my body wouldn't tolerate much of that.  

We had to take off over at one of the big runways.  The SLC team was on the way to pick up a patient so we were one of the first to take off.  Medical transport can get priority.  Bye bye horrible weather and ice.

Of course then I had to drive home. 
Guess I should get some sleep!  I have more painting to do and a post showing all my progress!

Watching the news it was clear that many many people fell today.  Utah doesn't do ice storms and we were running amok.  It was like a snowstorm in Georgia...what do we do?  what do we do?

Have you ever turfed it hard in front of a crowd??

PS. Not much about running right now. This long, hard to heal injury is just killing me!  

Blog on.................


  1. Shoot, Kathee, I'm glad you are OK. Be safe driving out there (esp. after being awake for 40 hours!) I know you would pull over if you felt sleepy... Glad you made it home safe.

  2. Your job sounds intriguing. I'm sure lots of adventures?
    Keep healing and taking care of yourself. The running will always be there when you are back to 100%.